Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bad Toelz


I've been meaning to go to this little town forever, and Chris and I finally made it out there this weekend. This was the town where my dad was stationed when he was in the Air Force. The base is no longer there, but it's still a nice town to visit.

We had pretty awesome luck the entire trip. First off, though the weather leading up to Saturday had been cloudy and wet, there was not a cloud in the sky as we left Muenchen. When we arrived, we got lucky again, because they were starting their Christkindlmarkt, a Christmas market held along the main street of the town. This was filled with food vendors serving hot wines and German foods, as well as several vendors selling nativities and other things.


It was a pretty relaxing trip. We wandered around the town for a while, snapped some photos, got something to eat at a sub shop, then climbed up to a church overlooking the town. After we'd seen about everything, we stopped at an outdoor cafe, got a beer, and just people watched for a little while. By the time we were finishing up our beers, the sun was setting and it was starting to get cold, so we headed back through town to the train station and headed home.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these pix. I remember one time they had a "Blessing of the animals" at the church on the hill, all the local farmers paraded their animals through town and up to the church for the blessing. Bad Toelz also had it's own beer fest in the fall, I think. The best place in Germany to be stationed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that town looks amazing! Definitely the kind of little town I want to live in :)

    ReplyDelete